In the event of a dental emergency, call our office at (410) 221-3085
Dr. Paul Karpovich is an emergency dentist in Timonium, MD. Along with his dedicated dental team, Dr. Karpovich aims to accommodate his patients as quickly as possible. He is equipped to provide same-day emergency services for patients with lost teeth, infections, tooth pain, and more.
Emergency dentistry is a general dental service that can preserve the health of the teeth and gums. Our staff will help ensure that you feel relaxed and comfortable when you come to our dental office for care.
Common Dental Emergencies
We treat patients who have recent dental trauma or pain. The most common problems patients encounter include:
- Knocked out tooth: If you have just knocked out a tooth, apply a damp cloth onto the tooth socket. If you can locate your lost tooth, handle it by the crown, or top of the tooth. Gently rinse the tooth and place it in a glass of saliva or milk. Teeth that are preserved like this may be able to be reattached within one hour of loss. Dr. Karpovich may also suggest a single dental implant to replace your tooth if it is lost. Dental implants are sturdy restorations that blend in with patient’s natural smiles.
- Tooth pain: If you are experiencing severe tooth pain, contact our office right away. Sometimes tooth pain can be caused by a tooth abscess or dental cavity. A broken dental filling or restoration can also cause tooth pain. We will find the source of your pain and determine the best course of treatment.
- Broken dental restoration: If you have just broken a dental restoration, do not try to replace it on your own. A broken or dislodged dental crown or filling needs to be secured or replaced by our professional dental team.
- Bleeding gums: One of the most common signs of gingivitis, or gum inflammation, is bleeding gums. If your gums bleed, we can provide periodontal therapy treatments like scaling and root planing. These treatments provide a deep clean and help stave off a gum infection.
- Object stuck between teeth: Gently floss between your teeth to help remove the object. Do not use sharp objects to try to dislodge the object because this could damage the teeth or gums. If the object cannot be removed, contact our office so our staff can help you.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
With the right dental care, some dental emergencies are preventable. If you or your child play contact sports, a professional mouthguard can protect the teeth from injury. Patients with worn or weakened teeth may receive dental crowns to protect and support the dental structure.
During regular dental appointments, our hygienists thoroughly clean the teeth and gums. Then Dr. Karpovich examines the gum and dental structures to catch early signs of tooth decay and gum disease.
Request an Emergency Consultation
Call our Timonium, MD dental office for emergency care at (410) 221-3085. For non-emergency dental concerns, you may schedule an appointment with Dr. Karpovich on our website.